Fully automatic analysis of water quality parameters including sample preparation
Our latest development for a water laboratory in the Netherlands automates the sample preparation and then measures oxygen, pH, alkalinity, color (UV/VIS), EC, turbidity in drinking water, surface water and wastewater.
The samples are collected during the day and brought into the laboratory at the end of the workday. Overnight, the sample collection bottles are directly loaded on two SP2000 platforms. This avoids any additional manual sample handling, enabling the laboratory to use the same bottles throughout its entire process. A sample table is created and the analyzer is started.
- The first sample bottle is picked up and transferred to the decapping device.
- The barcode on the bottle is scanned to check the sample ID and to obtain the analysis parameters, which need to be executed on this sample.
- The bottle is decapped immediately followed by oxygen measurement.
- After mixing, a predefined amount of sample is dispensed in the first titration vessel. The pH is measured before the alkalinity titration starts.
- The sample is again mixed, an amount is pumped through a paperband filter prior to color measurement and an amount is pumped through a flow cell to measure EC/turbidity
- The sample bottle is closed and transferred back to the sample rack.
- The second sample is picked up and the complete procedure is repeated. For optimum sample throughput the alkalinity titration of this sample is performed in a second titration vessel.
- In between measurements, the titration vessels, stirrers, probes, tubing, flow through cells and pipetting needles are rinsed to avoid any carry over.
- Results are displayed on a screen and can be printed or exported to a LIMS system and other external software packages.
The SP2000 robot offers water laboratories a complete “walk-away” concept. The robot is developed for usage with the original sample collection bottles and the analysis is automatically performed by scanning the barcode on this sample collection bottle.
- Dual titrator, for higher sample throughput
- Paper band filter, allowing analysis of particle laden water samples
- Possibility to measure color UV/VIS
- Automatic barcode scanning for sample ID check to gain the analysis parameters
- Unattended overnight analysis
- Avoidance of any manual sample transfer, because sample collection bottles can be placed directly on the analyzer
- Compatible with numerous current models of meter & probes
- Expandable with fluoride & hardness analysis
For more information about automated sample preparation and analysis without any operator intervention please contact Skalar
Automation of the acidification parameters for the Oceans as a result of climate change
In collaboration with the RBINS in Belgium, we have automated and optimized the analysis of acidification parameters for a fast and accurate measurement on a SAN++ analyzer.
Get more out of your chemical-analytical analyses
Tips and tricks in analytical chemistry by Rob van Turnhout, sales manager at Skalar Analytical